FoxPro 2.6 DOS Windows XP Pro Redirect LPT2 Printer Problem
r***@gmail.com
2008-02-03 07:01:53 UTC
I recently tried to upgrade a client to Windows Professional peer-to-
peer networking who is using an older FPD26 DOS application.
Everything worked OK under his former networking with Lantastic with a
mix of Windows XP PRO and Windows 98SE machines. Now, all his PC's are
Windows XP PRO. His application prints to 2 different printers (LPT1 &
LPT2) which are physically attached to one of the PC's named PRNTSRV.
The 2 printers are an Okidata 321 and an Okidata 320 both using the
built-in WIndows XP drivers.

I am unable to redirect the print job from any of the PC's to LPT2:
on PRNTSRV, however, PRNTSRV print to LPT2. I can redirect LPT1 to
PRNTSRV with no problem.

I am using the command
NET USE LPT1: \\PRNTSRV\OKI321 /PERSISTENT:YES

NET USE LPT2: \\PRNTSRV\OKI320 /PERSISTENT:YES

The FPD26 command SET PRINTER TO \\PRNTSRV\LPT2: results in a "printer
not ready error message."

The redirected print job seems to vanish and it does not appear in the
print queue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Man-wai Chang ToDie
2008-02-03 09:28:23 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I am using the command
NET USE LPT1: \\PRNTSRV\OKI321 /PERSISTENT:YES
NET USE LPT2: \\PRNTSRV\OKI320 /PERSISTENT:YES
The FPD26 command SET PRINTER TO \\PRNTSRV\LPT2: results in a "printer
not ready error message."
Haven't touched DOS for a long time...

Did you try "SET PRINTER TO LPT1" or "SET PRINTER TO LPT1:"?
--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/
Alan Pengelly
2008-02-03 20:40:00 UTC
I installed an old FPD26 exe on to an XP Home machine (a freebie so I didn't go to
a lot of trouble) and could not get it to recognise a USB printer, I gave up and
added an old printer to the parallel port and it all worked fine (ish, not all the
printer codes I used were OK with the printer I fitted - I had used ??? + printer
codes a lot then)
Alan
r***@gmail.com
2008-02-03 23:02:03 UTC
Post by Man-wai Chang ToDie
Post by r***@gmail.com
I am using the command
NET USE LPT1: \\PRNTSRV\OKI321 /PERSISTENT:YES
NET USE LPT2: \\PRNTSRV\OKI320 /PERSISTENT:YES
The FPD26 command SET PRINTER TO \\PRNTSRV\LPT2: results in a "printer
not ready error message."
Haven't touched DOS for a long time...
Did you try "SET PRINTER TO LPT1" or "SET PRINTER TO LPT1:"?
--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24
^ ^ 17:25:01 up 8 days 22:59 1 user load average: 1.62 1.73 1.75
? ? (CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/
Yes, the application specifically issues the command "SET PRINTER TO
LPT2:", however, the print job is not redirected. The problem seems to
be related to running FPD26 under Windows XP peer-to-peer networking
and attempting to redirect to LPT2:.
Jeroen van Kalken
2008-02-03 23:24:27 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Man-wai Chang ToDie
Post by r***@gmail.com
I am using the command
NET USE LPT1: \\PRNTSRV\OKI321 /PERSISTENT:YES
NET USE LPT2: \\PRNTSRV\OKI320 /PERSISTENT:YES
The FPD26 command SET PRINTER TO \\PRNTSRV\LPT2: results in a "printer
not ready error message."
Haven't touched DOS for a long time...
Did you try "SET PRINTER TO LPT1" or "SET PRINTER TO LPT1:"?
--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24
^ ^ 17:25:01 up 8 days 22:59 1 user load average: 1.62 1.73 1.75
? ? (CSSA):http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_pubsvc/page_socsecu/sub_addressesa/
Yes, the application specifically issues the command "SET PRINTER TO
LPT2:", however, the print job is not redirected. The problem seems to
be related to running FPD26 under Windows XP peer-to-peer networking
and attempting to redirect to LPT2:.
then you have to change it to:
SET PRINTER TO tempfile.prn
SET PRINTER TO
!COPY tempfile.prn \\PRNTSRV\OKI320
tom knauf
2008-02-04 08:19:19 UTC

after redirecting with net use I think you have to attach the printer via
set printer to LPT2: (without the servername)
You have to to the net use on every pc.

HTH
Tom
Dan Freeman