memory file is invalid
sherry
2005-03-18 16:13:05 UTC
I have a database with 3 tables. These were originally created in vfp 5.
Now are used in vfp 8.
When I try to Restore from Memo <fieldname> I get a message 'memory file is
invalid'
What can I do to fix this problem.
(I don't want to purchase any 3rd party software.)
Thanks
sherry
Dan Freeman
2005-03-18 16:39:51 UTC
I believe they changed the memory file format between VFP5 and VFP6, so
you're out of luck.

All you can really do is recreate it in the current environment.

Dan
sherry
sherry
2005-03-18 16:55:05 UTC
Dan
What do you mean by recreate?
I think everything has been converted to vfp8
thanks
sherry
sherry
Paul Pedersen
2005-03-18 17:27:50 UTC
I didn't know that the memory file format had changed. But if it did, empty
the memo fields and start over, if you can. If you really need the data
that's in there, read it out with VFP5, save it, and put it back in VFP8.
sherry
Dan Freeman
2005-03-18 20:04:11 UTC
To use RESTORE FROM MEMO, somewhere, somehow, somebody did a SAVE TO MEMO.
But it was done in VFP5, which is obviously not compatible.

Somewhere, somehow, somebody needs to do SAVE TO MEMO in VFP8 to make it
compatible going forward.

Dan
sherry
sherry
2005-03-22 16:09:02 UTC
OK..I'm that sombody who wants to fix it.
What to do to fix my problem?
Can I just delete the info in that memo field and recreate it, or what?
Don't know exactly what to ask so any information will be appreciated.
thanks
sherry
sherry
steve
2005-03-22 16:35:57 UTC
Post by sherry
OK..I'm that sombody who wants to fix it.
What to do to fix my problem?
Can I just delete the info in that memo field and recreate it, or what?
Don't know exactly what to ask so any information will be appreciated.
thanks
sherry
1> In the old VFP version type in command window:

display memory to print

restore from yourfile.mem additive

display memory to print , compare with above and note differences

In new vfp create all the variables in memory and save e.g.

a=12

SAVE TO <file> [ALL LIKE|EXCEPT <skel>]

If you get stuck email me the mem file and I will do it for you (I have
vfp5,6,7,8 and foxplus unix)

hth

Steve